I really don't want this to sound cliche. And I am not sure that this is going to work... It just seems like a great place to start.
This is all in the beginning stages and may change. My goal in one year is to feel more balanced, and be centered in my life. Only by that will I be a better mom, sister, daughter, and friend.
Here is my journey
It all began one day when I was feeling that everything in my life was so out of balance. It was a basic revelation that between my family, work, and my minuscule social life; I have no equilibrium. After some though it came to me that, I over focus on some issues that matter very little, and in return I under focus on the issues that require more thought. And as human as that sounds, I am sure that there is a need for balance.
I thought about the all of the basic points in my life that I focus on more frequently, and then I grouped them into 5 main categories: Finances, Physical, Spiritual, Social, and Emotional. If you take each of these categories (or points) they will create a star. And as I remember from many failed attempts as a child each line has to be even or the star collapses
Each point needs attention, but lately my concentration has been divided between my physical and social arenas. I have found that a majority of the other areas (financial especially) are suffering. Just like anything else that is not attended to it has grown out of control. In the same time, those areas that I focused on too much have become over scrutinized. Little things that don’t matter became focal points that have taken too much energy.
My five points are very generic and can stand for many things. For instance, Physical heading (in my world) stands for physical exercise, physical health, and physical environment. Understand that the general term “physical health” stands for: dental appointments, physician appointments, exercise, and beauty regimens. The break down has to be as individual as each person, and as flexible as possible. This schedule needs to take in account that the occasional emergency comes about. It also allows for the weekends to be an open time- time to catch up on the few things that come about usually family oriented or leisure.
Starting this is a commitment- one that requires focused individual attention. It takes one hour a day. It has to be an hour (I would not go more than an hour and a half) that is uninterrupted by any outside influences. Children, spouses, televisions, and telephones are the biggest culprits. It is best to explain to the human factors (spouses and older children) that you need this time for the betterment of all involved. You- better, means that the impact you have on everyone around you is better. When younger children are involved, it is better to do these power hours when they are asleep or at school, if possible. Your lunch hour is not a great time for this either. The fact is you don’t always have a whole hour, you need to eat, and there are too many distractions at work. Work time is not personal, you should not bring work home, nor would your boss appreciate the personal interference at work.
After writing out an hourly schedule for each weekday, I determined that I had a block of time between 4:15 and 9:45. I further determined that the best time for me was from 8:15 (after my boys were in bed, story read and faces kissed.) to 9:15 my drop off time. In all fairness anything after 9:15 will not make any sense in the morning.
Each day will have it's focus.
Monday- Finances
Tuesday -Emotion
Wednesday - Physical
Thursday- Spiritual
Friday- Social.
And on Sunday for one hour I will take time to contemplate what each topic will focus on. Saturday will be left alone. This is the best time to plan family events or get the grocery shopping done.
I have also devoted Sunday morning to a big family breakfast. This is a great time to talk about the week ahead. Who has what appointment. who has practice, or plans for a sleep over. With Mark's schedule changing every two weeks, planning ahead for the drive time helps out a lot.
So... I am ready, I think...
By the way, any feedback would be greatly welcomed. And if you have an idea that has helped you in the past. (and if it fits with the five points, let me know)
Sunday, January 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You have done two things here that will help you be successful. You have written down your specific goal/plan, and you have announced your intention to people who care about you who will help you stay on course. I think you are on the right track. - Love ya sis!
ReplyDeleteWay to go PJ.. BALANCE is my mantra... Your headed there,I will be supporting your effort.'Love ya.
ReplyDeleteI love it! You have thought it though and are off to a good start. Remember to breath and not get frustrated when you can't start right on time, flexability and balance go hand in hand. Love you tons!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGood for you sis. Will be watching you on the journey.
ReplyDeleteI admire your ambition! Balance is hard to find. I am trying to find it, too, but I can honestly say that my attempts have lacked your level of commitment. Maybe I'll take a page out of your book by documenting my goals and putting them somewhere they'll be more visible. :)
ReplyDelete